Sunday Long Sunday
Sunday was dumb blonde day. The whole day, I rested, chilled and:
1. got a laser facial
2. a lash perm
3. a pedicure (Essie Chocolate Kiss)
4. a manicure (Essie Chocolate Kiss)
5. foot spa
6. hair spa
7. blowdry
8. shopped (just a bit)
9. out on makeup
This took 6 hours of my precious time. Six hours. Duh. Being a girl is a full-time job.
At 5:30, met up with Gino at his house, all dressed up: ubiquitious black dress with v-neck line, black open-toe heels, yellow cover-up and pearls. No earrings, no watch. I picked out Gino's outfit 'cause he was planning to wear a barong. No way, Jose. I picked out a black long-sleeved shirt that fit him well on the shoulders, folded it, Carson-style (tzjutzjing the sleeves like French cuffs on the forearms), paired that with flat front straight-cut black slacks, black leather belt with a plain silver buckle and black leather Calvin Klein driving shoes. Oh and a large silver watch with a black leather band, forgot the brand. Added up messed-up bedhead hair and voila! Arnie Eye for the Not-so-Straight Guy. Left my car there and we hopped onto Gino's chauffeured classic Benz.
We attended the worldwide launch of Laban, a documentary on the People Power Revolution which turned out to be quite good, well-researched, and funny in more ways than the production team probably never predicted it could be--especially the interview with Imelda Marcos when she started using the phrase "In fairness" about three times. Quite balanced, if I may so myself. And with a point of view.
I remember that BBC documentary with the irritating camera movements trying to be 'different" and film-like, using a 4 camera set-up. Distracting. This one wasn't.
Gino was invited by fellow Blue Rep friend, Lisa, who I worked with briefly back in college in the production of 'Pippin'." I sang in the chorus and I quit after a month or so 'cause it took too much time from school (nerd!).
I met Tata who works for Seventeen Magazine, who I remember having met way before in college, also in Blue Rep (Later, Tata would whisper to me: "My bosses were jailed during Martial Law, Lacaba and Maglipon!"). All too real when you know the people who got jailed. And Tata's friend, Rachel who, surprise, surprise, used to work in advertising, too but quit to travel. Wish I could do that just like that.
A lot of politicians around, mostly people interviewed in the documentary. I wonder when it will be screened locally for public viewing.
During the first People Power revolution, I think I was in 6th grade, still living in Angeles City, watching the news, not understanding what was happening while my dad forbade us to go to Manila to join the rally. I was watching Ninoy's videos on betamax (remember? now betamax is just streetfood) over and over again, fascinated by how funny and smart and riveting he was. I didn't fully understand the political goings on of the country at that time, but my young self felt: This Ninoy guy is one smart cookie.
I found out later, contrary to what my dad told us (that he was at work), he was at the rally without us. Kairita!
Anyway, after the docu, we were still hungry (we just had cocktails--yummy cocktails but still, just cocktails). We went back home to Gino's house and transfered to Gino's current love of his life, a two-door sport Benz which my girly self cannot identify as to what year or model it is just that it's a vintage car, all-spiffy-and-hip-it-hurts. Had dinner in Silk Thai Restaurant at Serendra in The Fort. Not too many people, which was good 'cause my head still hurt from hearing loud noises and seeing bright lights.
We had Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Spicy Tofu Soup (or Tofu Tom Yum), some sort of Chili Ground Pork with Lettuce and the best of all, Pork Strips in Tamarind Sauce. Yum! Good food, nice presentation, sorta rude waiters. I know they were near closing time, but they should've kept their distance a bit and let us eat at our own pace. Kaka-stress with them hovering around all the time and making ligpit the other tables. A nice change from spartan but awesome Som's.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home