I just noticed that most of the computers I use don't have the classically elegant Helvetica loaded into it. Sure, there's
Arial, but nothing is as aesthetically pleasing to the eye as Helvetica. Arial is the low-end version of Helvetica. Non designers wouldn't notice the difference but to the trained eye, it can be irritatingly pedestrian. I found out
why. Apparently, you have to BUY Helvetica from
Linotype for $599.00. Sucks. We buy water now. Pati ba naman Helvetica may presyo na rin? Duh.
Geeky, I know, but while we're at it, let's find out ...
...how to distinguish between Arial and Helvetica
here and
Enjoy such gems like this:
"Almost Famous (2000, Dreamworks SKG). This is Cameron Crow's fictionalized (and entertaining) account of how he started writing for Rolling Stone magazine. It's supposed to be 1973, a year I remember very well. I have to say they did a very good job of capturing it, but then, it wasn't that long ago. Still, there are ample opportunities for type flubs in a movie about a guy who writes for a magazine. Surprisingly, not a lot of type is shown on screen, and what little is shown is correct for the period (the pre-ITC version of Kabel Black for instance). Except for one little thing near the end of the movie. Had I not been an avid Rolling Stone reader back in the seventies, I might have missed it. There is a montage which includes a close-up of a stack of RS just dropped off at the newsstand. It features aspiring young writer Will's triumphant first cover story.
The logo and photo look fine, but the main headline is set in ITC Galliard (1978). In addition to the fact it's five years too early, as far as I know it's never been used on the cover of RS. [Reader Tim Horrigan also points out that RS was folded over with a smaller cover before 1974, and that the overall design is uncharacteristic for the magazine during that period.—MS]."
Promise. It's so interesting it will distract you from work.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home