6.11.08

Octopus Encounter in Astoria

Met up with Gigi, a high school classmate, and her boyfriend Ed yesterday. They both work for Bloomberg and showed me around their high-tech building. I saw all the studios--they are all computerized and the newscasters control the cameras! Shucks less jobs for cameramen. I even bumped into a Filipina newscaster in the bathroom who told me to pretend to have lost my ID so I can keep it as a souvenir after she heard us speaking Tagalog....shhhh! I remember her name is Yvette or something I think she was also a newscaster in Manila I can't remember. :)

So I have a Bloomberg ID and notebook as souvenir. Since Gi knows I wanted to explore Astoria, they brought me to a Spanish tapas place called El Boqueron. We dropped by their awesome apartment in Astoria first to get their car. Man, it was good! The food not the car haha. I had fresh sardines and grilled octopus, among others. We had 10 tapas orders in all plus dessert. Yikes.I wanted to see Kabab, the place where Bourdain went. Apparently, it was just a block away from El Boqueron! Plus they live right next to the Noguchi museum anobear am coming back soon.

It's funny to meet up with old friends and just connect just like that after so many years. We made tsismis (showbiz and personal) and she kept teasing, calling me "class president". You know what, I don't remember now that I was. I was nga pala hehe pero most of the people who voted were my friends kasi haha.

Am staying with colleagues in Brooklyn next. Then Astoria. I am a vagabond. :) Am all settled and can access the city faster now since Brooklyn is a little nearer. I am thankful to my sis-in-laws who have been nice and generous to me and plan to drop by St. Patrick's later to pray and give thanks. I hope it doesn't rain today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home