20.9.08

Burgers Can Stop War?

After reading Friedman's "The World is Flat," a treatise on globalization in the internet age, I got so curious about his previous book, "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" which talks about the shift from the Cold War into the earlier stages of globalization.

I promptly got a copy and just finished the foreward. After reading about his Golden Arches theory*, I can't wait to finish it. He may need a lot of evidence to prove his ideas and insights, but he certainly does it in an entertaining way.

*Friedman's "Golden Arches theory" posits that "no two countries that both had McDonald's had fought a war against each other since each got its McDonald's." It's a variation on the theme that democracies don't go to war with each other. That has been disproven (ex. NATO vs. Serbia). But I am inclined to believe it happens more often than not.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home